I have a routine: every morning I wake up, lean over and pick up my iPhone, I check the news, then I read all of the latest feeds from my favourite blogs. The blogs are music ones of course, and for years I have been filtering through them and the ones I like are the ones that stay. I use the term of "blog" rather loosely - some of these are actual blogs, some are more updates and news, but all just as interesting and worthwhile. Just a note, the links are to the actual RSS feed, not to the website, so they will open in your RSS reader.
- Sibelius Blog: A must if you're a Sibelius user. News, interviews, the latest movies to be scored on Sibelius, tips and more. Run by Daniel Spreadbury, Sibelius’s Senior Product Manager.
- The Electric Semiquaver: All about writing with music notation software. The first line of his latest blog sums it up very well: "How music notation software can both assist, and completely destroy, musical texture."
- CompositionToday: Nice updates, news and resources about and for classical composers.
- Musical Perceptions: "Perceptions about music, perceptions that affect music, perceptions colored by music, perceptions expressed by music".
- Echoes: They are disc manufacturers for independent artists but it's a really nice blog of "insights for independent artists".
- New Music Strategies: Self explanatory.
- Professional Orchestration: Nice feed on all topics related to orchestration.
- Scoring Sessions: The feed from what I think you all know is one of my favourite websites.
- Soundtrack.net: Feed of reviews and news of film soundtracks by Dan Goldwasser.
- Sequenza21/: Great feed of news and reviews from this contemporary classical music community.
- The Naxos Blog: Sounds a bit heavy - it's not. Got great blogs and news articles.
- Apple Creative Professionals: If you're a mac lover you'll have to have this one.
- ryanyouens.com | blog: Am I allowed to put this on here?
While you're at it, these are two well updated and completely essential news feeds:
Well, enjoy. If you have your own favourites, or any in particular that you can't live without ... let me know.